Saturday, August 30, 2008

Bring It, Gustav!

So yes I am alive and yes we are well. I am really going to have to be more consistent at this. However, I wanted to be sure and post something before Gustav disconnects us from the rest of reality for several days. I am comparing myself to a squirrel right now, with the hoarding of food and supplies I mean (not the cute bushy tail and the clicking noises to communicate!) I have water jugs lining the wall of the kitchen, enough insulin for three months, batteries over flowing my usual battery box and more gas than we can ever use in our mower in case the stations run out and we run out in our cars. Oh yes and per Eric and the kids request cereal straws...apparently they are up on the survival list with water, food and shelter. Thanks for you ingenious marketing Kelloggs you will be happy to know you saved us during Gustav! Yes we are ready. I am obviously praying for a no repeat of Katrina but we are ready for whatever comes. I remember when I was young and we would have hurricanes that got us out of school for a week. That was always the biggest most exciting part about it for me then. Now I am an adult and have all these little mouths to feed and it is a little more disconcerting. So pray for us and the entire Gulf Coast. You will probably know more than we do as we will only have a small and crank radio to tune into while we have no power. We will also eat like kings if our freezer starts to defrost and we have to cook all 7lbs brisket I have stored for another day, I guess so will my family and neighbors too! I will resume regular posting when this is all over. Maybe I will get to it before, but don't hold your breath!

PS We have no land line phone and the cell phones are usually busy or the towers are down so if you try to call us don't freak out if you can't get to us. We are going to be fine. I was very glad for the hand crank radio we bought after we got rid of our land line because it will charge cell phones!

5 comments:

Deanna said...

So glad y'all are ready and prepared. I've been thinking about you and you'll definitely be in our prayers. "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear"!

Wendy said...

Glad to hear about the cereal straws. Good luck. We will be praying for you. Love you guys.

Jen Cutler said...

Chris and I have been worried about you guys down there. I hope your house doesn't sustain any substantial or even minor damage and that your family is safe. Good Luck! We will be thinking about you!
PS, my kids love those straws too, but I find myself consuming the bulk of them in one sitting. That is why we don't buy them any more. LOL!

Chelsea said...

We've been thinking of you all. Update and let us know how you are doing ASAP

Emma and Dan said...

We've been thinking about you. I hope you are able to update soon.