Monday, August 11, 2008

First Days and Birthdays

So, my little man left for his second day of first grade this morning and I figured it was time to put up the pictures of his first day of first grade and Mya's birthday which were the same day by the way. It was a big day for the Bascom household! Austin is 2 for 2 with his bus being late this year on the first day of school. We waited for an hour for the bus to come. It finally did and he happily hopped on. This kid loves school. He cried his last day of kindergarten and has been so antsy to get back ever since! That is the way Eric was, so I am told. I got a picture of his shoes because he HAD to have Sketcher Z strap shoes for the new year. He also insisted on having a messenger bag as opposed to having a traditional backpack. I thought, "He is not going to like that after a couple of days. I should not let him get it. He is going to get to school and realize that everyone else has a traditional backpack." Boy am I out of the loop. Apparently messenger bags are really popular these days. I guess I am officially "uncool"! Hope you have a great year Austin! You are one awesome dude!
Mya's birthday was on the same day. I don't know what Eric and I were thinking but we decided she could invite a few friends and we would take them to Libby Lu to get all dressed up. We got Austin on the bus and got Aliyah to Grandma's so it would just be Mya's special day. We went and picked up all the little girls she had invited and went to the mall. The girls were so excited! Then we got to Libby Lu and they said they could not fit us in right then. I guess I should have called about that. We got a little nervous when they said they could not get us in for two hours but we took the girls on a carousel ride, to the play area and to Chick-Fil-A which seem to fill our time adequately. We finally got our turn and look out world. There was more glitter flying around than I have seen since making Valentines day cards in the first grade! Mya was insistent on being Hannah Montana and getting the wig. We tried to convince her otherwise because I think the little girls' hair is so cute all done up. I secretly also wanted to see if they could tame the curly cow licked locks that I struggle with every morning. But I will have to just make a guess that they would have struggled too. The girls had a great time and I have lots of pictures to email their parents. That night Eric asked if we could go see "The Dark Knight" to get some of his manhood back. We also celebrated her birthday with the rest of the family on Sunday. My parents came over for cake and ice cream. She got all the things she asked for which included a jewelry box from my Mom, jewelry, a princess book, a fake camera (she explained to me that she did not want a real one because she was not old enough for that yet!), a headband and a little stuffed puppy with its very own carrier. Her friends gave her a play vacuum (I wish it worked for real because she has gone over the carpets about 346 times already with it!) a magnetic princess book (can never go wrong with that!) and jasmine doll and horse which has been everywhere with us since (well every where that she thought she could get away with anyway). She is a very sweet girl who is always thinking of others and loves to be my little shadow. I cannot believe she starts preschool this year and Kindergarten next year. Maybe Aliyah will stay little forever?!?! I love you Mya!

Update to the post: Chrisie Grandma and Grandpa Walt's gift arrived today! Wow, Mya will be busy for weeks! It was a dress up trunk filled to the brim with dress up clothes and a ballerina Barbie. So far she has been a princess, a fairy, a ballerina, a balerina fairy, and a ballerina fairy princess (that's a four year girl for you!)! Thanks Grandma and Grandpa...You know her so well! It helped that she knew exactly what she wanted when you called to ask. The child knows what she likes that is for sure.

I love this shot of Annabelle (my niece). She is getting sprayed with the glitter hairspray.

11 comments:

THE WITHERS FAMILY said...

Okay so much fun! I'm so glad you finally have your blog up and running. I remember you telling me that you didn't want anyone knowing about it just yet. Well, it looks great.
You're family is gorgeous! We sure do love getting together when we come down there. It's nice to be able to keep in touch through this though.

Emma and Dan said...

I didn't notice that you had a blog until you commented on mine. I'm so glad!
Austin is the cutest thing ever! Your girls are adorable of course, but words cannot express how awesome that little guy is - I still have so much love for him even though its been about 5 years since I've seen him. :)
I loved the story about Mya because I really look forward to all of that girly stuff when Elena is a little older.

Wendy said...

Happy b-day Mya. Love the wig!

HUGHES FAMILY said...

OH my goodnesss she is so stinking cute!!!!!!!!!! Stacia is so much like her its scary. Looks like such a fun day.. and we did think about you Mya on your b-day we were just in route to CA and spaced calling sorry.. We love you all.

Wendy said...

Here is Jeff and Julie Lewis's blog www.loulewandlulu.blogspot.com
Also here is Mike Neider's www.teamneider.blogspot.com

Julie said...

I am so glad you found our blog! It is great to hear from you guys! I am glad you are doing well and we would love to get together again whenever you come. You know, there is a BYU game vs Tulane in September 2009, so we may be trekking down to your area then too and would love to see you guys then! I can't believe how big your kids are either. Austin is so cute in his school get up!

Karlee said...

Umm I had NOOOO idea you had a blog! I was SOO happy when I saw your comment and realized that yes indeed you DO have one! Can I just say that Mya CRACKS me up! You'll have to post everyday to quote something funny she said that day just so I can have a good laugh!

Amber and The Boys said...

Amy! How fun to hear from you! I have wondered about you a lot-guess you found me through Sarah? It is so good to see pics of your kids and read about you guys and stuff! Are you in LA? Keep in touch-this is fun! Amber

Jen Cutler said...

Oh my heck,
I wish we had something like that in our town. Brynn would die and go to heaven if she was able to recieve a princess makeover. One more reason to move down there right?

Chelsea said...

I saw your name on Courtney's blog so, I'm snooping. Hope that you don't mind. Your kids are getting so big!! I love the pics of Mya's party. That is so neat. They are all so cute.

Wendy said...

Hi. How is your day? Good I hope. So you should post more pics of those cute kids for me to see. Also Courtney if you are reading this I would love to see your blog so if you want to invite me my email is wendybascom@gmail.com
Love and miss you all.