Monday, April 05, 2010

Disney 2010




This year was a landmark for Eric and I. We took our kids on a "real" family vacation. Don't get me wrong, we have been on alot of trips, but this was the first one 1. that wasn't to see family 2. that we took our kids on 3. that was strictly pleasure and 4. required serious travel. See, a "real" vacation!

About a month before we left, Eric's Dad called and asked if Eric's mother could tag along. She LOVES Disney. I mean LOVES Disney!! The men made all of the arrangements to have her in an adjoining room, get a dining plan, fly into Orlando, etc. I was beyond excited for an extra set of helping hands and the Disney expertise!! Thursday, of the week before we left she fell on some ice. She was left with one good arm and one broken one. However, she was not going to miss our vacation. She was more help then I think she gives herself credit for. While it was true she could not help bathe children or carry anything she was an extra set of eyes for kids that were not tall enough to ride big rides, and extra set of eyes when Eric and I went to order food, an extra mind who helped us make coordinating decisions. She was indispensable. We need her on ALL our vacations from now on!

Let the pictures begin:

The Princess in her carriage
We caught this dance contest in Downtown Disney one night. Mya did not want to be in the contest but danced and watched the entire time providing the entertainment for a group of ladies nearby. They did not want us to take her home!
In the gift shop of the Rockin' Roller Coaster Ride.
Waiting for Funnel Cakes. Good job guys!
In Minnie's house.

I LOVE this face. She is showing Eric exactly where Lilo touched her shoulder.
Austin found one of his best friends from school at Epcot! Hi Kenyon!


We ran into some cousins while we were there too. We only got a picture with Merrick and Jack. We forgot to get one with Annabelle, Joe, Caroline and Rush...
Girls are in AWE. Austin is thinking...we are wasting our time!
The whole group.
Eric was getting the stroller when we happened upon Goofy so he snuck in the back of the photo when he was done.


This photo is really worthy of a whole other post but I will try to be concise. It's no secret that Disney promotes Princesses. What does a preincess do to try and make a boy feel included? Of course she calls him a prince! How does a seven year old boy who thinks girls are gross react? He gets upset. Austin was lamenting to Eric and I about this trend while we were waiting to see Snow White. Here's the convo:

A: "Dad, it's really embarrassing that all the princesses call me something dumb. I hate it!"

E: "They are just trying to be nice because they know you would probably rather be doing something else. Just smile and be nice."

Grandma: "I bet you a churro that this Snow White calls you something."

A: "I bet she does too, but ok, I'll bet you she doesn't."

Funny Guy in front of us leans over to Eric and says: "Want me to talk to Snow White when I go up there and get her to call him a prince to throw the bet in favor of Granny?"

E: "Awesome..."

Funny Guy: "Actually lets make it interesting and get her to call him something else like one of the dwarfs...SNEEZY!"

E: "Hey Austin, I bet she calls you...Sneezy."

A: "Dad, why would she call me Sneezy? You are definitely on!"

Funny guy and Snow White: "psst, blah, blah, giggle, giggle."

(Those princesses NEVER break character! She was cool about it the whole time.)

Snow White to A: Well, hello, you must be Sneezy!"

A: mouth drops looks around "I cannot believe this! My Dad and I had a bet that you would call me Sneezy. I never thought you would call me Sneezy!!"

Snow White in her high pitched little voice "Oh Dear. I am so sorry. A little blue bird told me to call you that. I had no idea!"

Funny guy: about to bust a gut!

Me: laughing so hard I am crying!

Grandma: turning blue with laughter

A: walking away "A blue bird...really?? A BLUEBIRD??"

E: "Sorry buddy. Who knew?"

We eventually told him what happened. It was pretty dang funny! Judging by the look on his face in the picture I think he forgave her.

5 comments:

Julie said...

Looks like you guys had a great time and so glad you got to go on a REAL vacation with the kids! Are you guys coming up here any time soon? It'd be fun to see you!

Grandma Carla said...

What fun to go enjoy Disney AND get to run into cousins and friends there too! I love all the pictures and the videos.

Jamie said...

Looks like such a fun trip!!! Good for you guys! I'm dying to take Annie to Disneyland. How fun (and exhausting, I'm sure).

Are you guys coming into town any time soon? We'd love to see you!

Linsey said...

Amy, I love the pictures!!! We went to Disney World too (well, it was just my mom and me and the kiddos). Wasn't the saddest packing up to leave?!?! I love it there!!! It looks like you all had an absolute blast!!!

Amy said...

We heard some of this from Mom's picture show and vacation report, but I love to hear it from you too. Loved Austin's 'sneezy' story. Hilarious! Glad you're catching up on things. Keep us posted.