Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Laundry Quandry

We have some serious laundry issues around here. It doesn't help that my children think everything that is dirty is clean and everything that is clean is dirty.

I have had enough. My biggest frustration comes when I have to look for dirty school uniforms and find them stuffed into dresser drawers. Austin being the most guilty of such an offense, I explained to him the other night that I had done all of the laundry and he had no clothes for school tomorrow. Also, I had no socks for him and I was not staying up late to do anymore laundry. He emerged from his room carrying all but one set of uniform clothes (which happened to be in the washer at the moment but I didn't tell him that.) I told him that he could 1. sniff them and find the least stinky to wear to school or 2. wear whatever he wanted and get written up. He frantically checked the washer and found his still wet clothes so helped me put the entire load of clothes to the dryer to get dried. I reminded him about the socks. He came out of his room with about 6 pair of dirty socks that had been sitting in his drawers. He magically remembered about a couple of clean pair in the wrong drawer and behind his desk! Imagine that! He honestly seem relieved not to have to wear dirty clothes or get written up! (I was surprised because I expected him to just wear dirty ones and not care at all. Seven year old boys...)

This incident was following one earlier in the day when I asked the kids to put away the clothes I had just washed, dried, and folded. They cried and moaned. I told them about a blog I had read where this mother made her kids (who where the same age as mine) do all the laundry at their house. Mya cried (no really, cried!), "Are you going to make us to do that?!" hmmm.... Something is amiss here.

I decided that this summer they would be helping with their own laundry. Sorting, washing, drying, folding, putting away. Maybe they would appreciate what I do for them. Yesterday evening I looked at the pile of clothes to fold and thought why wait for summer? I could have help today! I would have to be patient though, as I love clothes to be folded "properly". I may just have to give that up for the sake of the life lesson.

I separated out their clothes and bath towels from the rest of the pile. I made their own pile for them and let them fold away. It took me half the time to finish my part-bonus! I was surprised to learn a few things myself. (That's the way it always goes as a mother though, right? You expect to be teaching a lesson and end up learning more than the kids!)

1. They knew how to fold clothes, really well actually.
2. They basked in the responsibility and bragged to each other about how much they got done.
3. I liked sitting with them and working along side of them.

They woke up this morning and reminded me there was another load to fold and could they please do it before school. They didn't have enough time so I told them maybe after school. Mya said, "But Mom, I have gymnastics. When am I going to fold those clothes?" Add time management to the list of lesson from a laundry basket!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Way to go Amy! You are a good Mama teaching them those life skills. And getting them to start while they are young and have fun doing it. That will end soon enough but they WILL know how to do it. Love, Sis. Becky

Mom said...

I remembered a time years ago when I was reading "101 Ways to Get your Kids to Work at Home". I kept it in the car and read while waiting in carpool lines. Well, the girls happened upon it one day and said, "What's this Mama? We knew the only reason you had us was to be your slaves!" And I calmly said, "Yes, you are right!"
(Just had to share) Sis. Becky

Adrienne said...

LOL! I can vouch that you had A LOT of laundry piling up and I'm glad to know it is all gone! Awesome! I need to stick with you to learn a few things for when Drew gets older! Who would have thought they would actually enjoy folding clothes? Especially since Mya was so upset at the thought of you making them do their own like that other mean mom from that blog ;) And I can totally picture Austin rummaging through his room trying to find socks! And how they all just magically appeared?! What?! Too funny!

Amy said...

We have the same problem of confusing clean and dirty clothes at our house, though I don't think my kids are as good as hiding it as Austin. It drives me crazy!

Seth & Courtney said...

Yay for kids folding their clothes. It's so hard sometimes to let them do it their way, but so worth it in the end. And they are such cute little workers!