Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I Hope They Call Me on a Mission

My parents were a little surprised when the Bishop called them into his office in December and asked them to consider serving a mission. My Dad said, "Bishop, I am not retired. We were planning on it in about three years." To which the Bishop replied, "Think a little harder about going now." What do you say about that? So they did (I am sure there was some serious prayer in there too!) They turned their papers in a few weeks later, my Dad retired and then they waited and waited and waited...

The Sunday of the week that they were sure the call was coming they had the family over for dinner and a little guessing game. We each got one guess within the US and one outside of the US, grandkids too.


They got the call on a Thursday and they called us all over to watch them open it. Those who were not there were assigned a "phone buddy" who called them to let them hear the excitement.

South Africa it was!!! (not the best picture of my Mom but not a whole lot of opportunity to do a retake!)

PS They are now waiting for their Visas. It could be as late as July before they leave. They were supposed to have left on Saturday the 17th. Now we wait some more...




2 comments:

The Dreamer said...

I love it! Gives me goosebumps all over! I love your parents. Tell them Congrats and Good luck from one missionary to another!

jamie said...

That is so cool, I didn't know that story! Your parents are seriously the best, I love them.